Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Update - September 2018: New Resources, Events, & Security List Reminders

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 16:56:00 +0000

Learn more about upcoming security and privacy events, as well as new resources for the higher ed community. NOTE: This
message also offers some friendly reminders about participation guidelines and the open nature of the Security
Discussion list.

Highlights

  *   National Cybersecurity Awareness Month is just a few days away! Here are 10 things you can
do<https://www.educause.edu/focus-areas-and-initiatives/policy-and-security/cybersecurity-program/awareness-campaigns#ncsam>
 to show your institution’s support throughout the month of October.
  *   The 2019 Security Professionals Conference<https://events.educause.edu/security-professionals-conference/2019>
Call for Proposals is now open! Proposal submissions for track sessions and preconference workshops will be accepted
through November 12.

Resources

  *   Security Matters blog post: Save Time and Boost Credibility with the
HECVAT<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/8/save-time-and-boost-credibility-with-the-hecvat> by Jon Allen, Nick Lewis,
and Kim Milford
  *   An updated version of the Information Security Program Self-Assessment
Tool<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2015/11/information-security-program-assessment-tool> was published in
August.
  *   Stay informed: Follow HEISC on
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/higher-education-information-security-council-heisc-/>.

Upcoming Events

  *   October 11 (1-2 pm ET): Campus-Wide Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) Saturation Campaign at Utah Valley
University<https://events.educause.edu/educause-live/webinars/2018/campus-wide-two-factor-authentication-2fa-saturation-campaign>
 [EDUCAUSE Live! webinar for NCSAM; registration available]
  *   November 19 (1-2 pm ET): GDPR + 6 Months: What We Know Now, What We Wish We Had Known
Then<https://events.educause.edu/educause-live/webinars/2018/gdpr-6-months-what-we-know-now-what-we-wish-we-had-known-then>
 [EDUCAUSE Live! webinar; registration available]

Security Discussion Group Participation Reminders

  *   This list is public; anyone is welcome to subscribe.
  *   Archives are publicly available and searchable.
  *   Posts to this list may be aggregated by other sites such as http://seclists.org/.
  *   Replies will automatically go to the entire list. If you intend to respond directly to an individual on the list,
please be sure to check the “To:” line before sending your message.
  *   For more sensitive questions or sharing of information, consider using the REN-ISAC<https://www.ren-isac.net/>
list if you are a member.
  *   Visit the Security Discussion Group website<https://www.educause.edu/discuss/security-discussion-group> to manage
your list subscription, access archived messages, or review the participation guidelines.

Follow Us & Stay Informed

  *   LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/higher-education-information-security-council-heisc-/>
  *   Twitter<https://twitter.com/HEISCouncil>
  *   Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/heiscouncil/>
  *   YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/SecurityVideoContest>
  *   Security Matters blog column<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters> in EDUCAUSE Review

If you have any questions or comments, please send an email to security-council () educause edu<mailto:security-council
() educause edu>.

Thank you,

Valerie

Valerie Vogel
Senior Manager, Cybersecurity Program

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | Follow HEISC on
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/higher-education-information-security-council-heisc-/> | twitter:
@HEISCouncil | vvogel () educause edu<mailto:vvogel () educause edu>

October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month!
Join EDUCAUSE and the higher ed community as a NCSAM Champion. Follow #CyberAware for tips & resources.