Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Forensic Equipment Recommendations

From: Steven Alexander <steven.alexander () KCCD EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 21:22:01 +0000

I assumed you meant workstations.  If your concern is just duplication and write blocking, then what you have is
probably fine.  What's the specific desire for the TX1 over the TD3? I use a computer and a write blocker (e.g. TK8u)
rather than a duplicator.  For imaging software, I use EnCase Imager.  For mobile, the write blocker is not necessary
and you can create an image/backup with Magnet Acquire.  Mac can be tricky.  In the past,  I've imaged them three ways:
by pulling the drive (when they were removable), using target disk mode, or live using dd.  I'd like to try BlackBag's
Macquisition and Sumuri's Recon Imager but I haven't had the need for either recently.

Regards,

Steven Alexander
Director of IT Security
Kern Community College District