Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Data sensitivity awareness assessment

From: Fred Eaker <feeaker () NCSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:04:34 -0400

Folks,

Here at N.C. State University, we rely on a data sensitivity framework
<https://oit.ncsu.edu/it-security/data-framework/> to guide discussions and
decisions throughout our IT governance structure and implementations in our
technical environment.

While this framework is very helpful, I would like to *assess* general
awareness of data sensitivity to determine how well our end users
understand the framework and its application in departmental workflows,
especially those that involve the flow of sensitive data. The results of
the assessment should help us determine what kind and how much
supplemental training to provide around data sensitivity. Long term, my
hope is that well-aware and well-trained departmental staff can become
partners in helping identify areas in which controls are lacking or could
be improved.

*Has anyone else embarked on an assessment of data sensitivity awareness,
specifically?* If so, would you be willing to share your
assessment questions and/or resources? (I am willing to share all of the
above, including results if anyone is interested, once we have finalized
our own assessment tool.) Also, if you have any general advice about
assessing data sensitivity awareness, either from a philosophical or
tactical perspective, I would love to hear that as well.

For more context, here is a brief description of participation and
selection criteria: ~ 250 permanent and temporary (non-student) employees;
assumes a 95% confidence level, a confidence interval of 5, and
approximately 600 employees (this is specific to our division, not the
entire campus). A random sample of two subsets in corresponding ratios:
employees from departments handling sensitive data (HIPAA); and employees
from all other departments

--
Fred Eaker
Assistant Director, DASA Technology Services