Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Quarterly Update, September 2018

From: "Corn, Michael" <mcorn () UCSD EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 13:53:51 +0000

Dear colleagues,

We are sharing the latest resources and upcoming events on behalf of our HEISC volunteers. If you have any questions
about existing resources or challenges you’d like to share, we’re ready to help and look forward to hearing from you!

What’s New?

  *   Get ready for NCSAM events & activities in October using our handy planning
resources<https://www.educause.edu/focus-areas-and-initiatives/policy-and-security/cybersecurity-program/awareness-campaigns#ncsam>.
  *   Information Security Program Assessment
Tool<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2015/11/information-security-program-assessment-tool>: A new version was
published in August.
  *   If you missed the August 21 extended online event, Encore! Selections from the EDUCAUSE Security Professionals
Conference
2018<https://events.educause.edu/webinar/2018/encore-selections-from-the-educause-security-professionals-conference-2018>,
 recordings are now available for purchase.
  *   3 new Security Matters guest blogs published between June and August:
     *   Talking to Your Board About
Cybersecurity<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/6/talking-to-your-board-about-cybersecurity> by Michael Hites
     *   A Step-by-Step Approach to Creating a Security Education, Training, and Awareness
Program<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/7/a-step-by-step-approach-to-creating-a-security-education-training-and-awareness-program>
 by Sarah Sletzinger
     *   Save Time and Boost Credibility with the
HECVAT<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/8/save-time-and-boost-credibility-with-the-hecvat> by Jon Allen, Nick Lewis,
and Kim Milford

Upcoming Events & Activities

  *   The 2019 Security Professionals Conference<https://events.educause.edu/security-professionals-conference/2019>
call for proposals (CFP) launches the week of September 17. Proposal submissions for track sessions and preconference
workshops will be accepted through November 12.
  *   October 11: MFA rollout at Utah Valley University (EDUCAUSE Live! webinar, registration available soon)
  *   November 19: GDPR + 6 Months: What We Know Now, What We Wish We Had Known
Then<https://events.educause.edu/educause-live/webinars/2018/gdpr-6-months-what-we-know-now-what-we-wish-we-had-known-then>
 (EDUCAUSE Live! webinar, registration available now)

Thank you,

Sharon Pitt and Mike Corn

Co-Chairs, Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC)

https://www.educause.edu/security

Michael Corn | Chief Information Security Officer
mcorn () ucsd edu
University of California San Diego | ITS - Information Technology Services
10280 N. Torrey Pines Road, Suite 255 | La Jolla CA 92093 MC 0928
cybersecurity.ucsd.edu | esr.ucsd.edu