Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ODBC Access to Oracle

From: Kevin Crider <kcrider () SKIDMORE EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 16:41:39 +0000

I've gone from allowing to disallowing this...I don't recommend it, unless you have zero options.

For us, the bad part was that the client was MS Access...which is simply not at all good to use as a front end to
Oracle/Banner tables....security issues, performance issues, and risk of inadvertently changing data...I can speak to
all those.

You will also have to maintain the Oracle client, among other things, on every desktop.
Oracle will apply the proper security based on whatever user is logged in through ODBC...but that's not Banner security
either...so one of the problems will be when someone needs SATURN plus 4 General tables...how to do that, in a
sustainable way, without giving them all of General...

Kevin