Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ODBC Access to Oracle

From: Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 14:57:28 +0000

It's been a number of years since I worked with Oracle, but I believe security is enforced on an ODBC connection;
however I still believe it's a bad idea, especially for such a critical application. Back when I did deal with Oracle,
only approved core applications could connect to critical databases, and only after all queries were signed off by an
Oracle DBA. They may have gotten better, but Oracle was worse than Microsoft about the number of security holes and
restricting what (hosts, applications, etc) can connect to the database is a good security measure. The other big issue
is bad queries, as you mentioned below. Also keeping up with database users and their permissions can be a headache.

To meet this type of need, we had a data warehouse with summarized, sanitized, etc data that users could ad-hoc query
for their purposes without affecting the critical production databases. We sold it as a win-win by making the data
easier to understand and query for end users. Of course this is a large project that won't be able to meet the needs of
this user any time soon, but might be something to think about for the future.

Thomas Carter
Network & Operations Manager / IT
Austin College
900 North Grand Avenue