Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Personal printer WIFI connectivity policy in dorm rooms

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 08:16:23 -0400

Wilson, Here is what we tell our students:

1) Turn off WiFi on your printer, Use a USB Cable
2) Talk to your professors and ask them why they aren't accepting digital
uploads to canvas

The problem that we have isn't so much with connecting wireless printers to
the student network (though there are concerns about other people using the
printer without permission), it comes from the students setting up the
printers in ad-hoc mode, and filling the already densely filled spectrum.

My suggestion, if you really want to have printers be useful in dense
environments such as residence halls, would be to ditch the WiFi, and look
at using bluetooth, or possibly even NFC

Frank

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 2:34 AM, Wong, Wilson (HPS Global R&D) <