Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Third-party external services using your email domain

From: "Blackstone, Chris" <0000004bdf040758-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:49:24 +0000

Similarly, we have multiple sub-domains

Advancement.arbor.edu - Used for advancement marketing emails
Admissions.arbor.edu - used for admissions marketing emails
Send.arbor.edu - used for notification emails from systems like StatusPage.io

I have specifically NOT whitelisted domains that send AS @arbor.edu, and we also reject emails that fail DMARC. I had
to work with multiple groups on campus to coordinate all of this but it has proven beneficial, if for nothing else it
let us know just how many groups were using @arbor.edu addresses when sending marketing email and the like.

I would also encourage you to use a DMARC analysis service to get a sense of who is sending as you right now. We
started with DMARCAnalyzer (https://www.dmarcanalyzer.com/) and now use Barracuda's Sentinel product.

Tightening up your SPF record will help a lot as well.

Chris

--
Chris Blackstone
Chief Information Officer

Schedule a meeting with me at https://calendly.com/chrisblackstone

On 1/23/18, 5:54 PM, "The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Rob Milman" <SECURITY () LISTSERV