Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

On-demand Privilege Escalation Solution for Endpoints

From: Nitin Singh <Nitin.Singh () VU EDU AU>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 01:52:23 +0000

Good Day Folks,

We are looking at possible solutions to allow administrative rights on endpoints.

Currently by default our users get administrative rights (oooops!) on their machines which is for historic reasons to
provide academic freedom and flexibility. And as you would know this freedom and flexibility comes with significant
security exposure and risk for our University.

Moving forward we will be removing all administrative rights on endpoints and looking to deploy a solution which can:

  1.  Allow demand Privilege Escalation from local machine regardless it is connected to University Network or Not
  2.  Limit the window of Escalated Rights such as allowing users to select how long they need administrative rights
for and automatically removing privileges after selected period of 30mins, 2 hours, 4 hours or 8 hours.
  3.  Monitor, log and alert on all activities undertaken (including installation, download etc.) during the period of
escalated rights
  4.  Block/notify users whenever download/installation of a malicious code/software is detected
  5.  Easy to use, install and does not require excessive operational overheads.

Anyone who is using similar technologies or have explored such solutions who can share insights that would be highly
appreciated.

Rgds, Nitin

Nitin Singh
Director – ITS Security and Risk Assurance
Information Technology Services
(P) +61 3 9919 5849
(M) +61 430 989 430

Victoria University