Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Tips for using third party survey providers

From: Laura Raderman <lraderman () CMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 13:21:22 +0000

We *always* include a URL (not specifically linked where we can prevent it) to a trusted cmu.edu site (which site
depends on which department is sending the message) that includes an exact copy of the message, or as close as we can
get (for messages that have recipient specific information)

Example:

***To verify the authenticity of this message, visit  https://www.cmu.edu/iso/news/ncsam-massmail.html ***

 Note:  Your mail reader may have converted the authenticity URL above to be a clickable link.  Depending on your
device/mail reader, you can check the actual destination of a clickable link by hovering your mouse over the link,
"right-clicking" on the link, or tap and holding the link.

———————

If we were sending from a 3rd party, the message would include a description of what the mail was, who sent it, why,
etc.  We also encourage folks using such services to send to themselves first to make sure the message doesn’t
sound/look too spammy.  We had one department (a large one on campus that many students, staff, and faculty interact
with) send out a mail advertising “Win a free month of X” and we got *many* many spam reports about it (it was
legitimate).

Laura Raderman
ISO Policy & Compliance Coordinator
Carnegie Mellon University