Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Laptop protection campaign for students

From: Colin Abbott <colin.abbott () MCGILL CA>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 21:05:14 +0000

Hello,

     I have been asked on behalf of our physical security unit to reach out and survey what other universities are
doing, other than awareness campaigns to protect students from laptop theft on campus. Currently we do awareness,
posters, security guards will leave post it notes on unattended laptops and we sell STOP stickers
(www.stoptheft.com<http://www.stoptheft.com>).

We are also considering creating a registry where students can store serial numbers and MAC addresses and possibly
(pending legal approval) sharing that information in the case of theft with other Universities in the city.

Thanks
Colin Abbott, CISSP CCSP | IT Security Architect  | McGill University | Network and Communication Services |
514-398-5070