Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: GDPR Question - Part 3

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 17:08:28 +0000

(setting aside the scope question and broadening it to “what are you doing” since I think the “technically” part is
relatively small)

Some of my thoughts on steps towards GDPR compliance…(This is a brain dump, not a well edited document, but I think it
covers the ground. I write things like this partially to benefit the community, but largely to force myself to
articulate what’s floating around in my head.)  I tried to reference specific articles of the GDPR in places, but I
didn’t do that everywhere.  Feel free to borrow, steal, remix, etc. for your own internal use.

  *   Get legal guidance and set scope – Have legal counsel document the compliance requirements for your institution –
use this scope as the basis for remaining items. Return to legal for clarifications when questions arise.  This
hopefully gives you a high-level view of the scale of the effort.
  *   Decide how to handle change management at your org.  What efforts to make significant changes to business
processes and policies have been successful in the past?  What did they do right for engagement, communication,
building support, taking input/feedback, training, etc. This is the difference between “everyone hates/ignores that
GDPR team” and “that GDPR team understands and respects the impact this has on my business process and workload.”
     *   Lots of things could fall under here: communications plans, business impact analysis, stakeholder management,
etc.
  *   Gather stakeholder team – focus on business process owners, technology service owners, contracting/grants,
compliance management staff, etc. (this will be iterative – I hope to pull in 75% of the appropriate people in the
first pass and expand as needed based on the enumeration steps below)
     *   Define roles and responsibilities for GDPR working group
     *   Educate group on GDPR scope (as defined by legal) and requirements – I’m big on two things for education: read
the text of the law directly and work with your legal counsel to aid in understanding how it applies to your institution
  *   Develop standards for GDPR items that can apply broadly and can be leveraged by all/many business processes
(sub-committee tasks)
     *   Define on-going GDPR compliance management roles/responsibilities (maybe new GDPR policy, maybe edits to
existing privacy policy?)
        *   Will you be assigning someone the role of “data protection officer”? (Art 37-39)
     *   Process for handling of GDPR requirements in contracts (where your institution is being asked/required to be
GDPR compliant)
     *   Process for ensuring third-parties contracted by your institution to handle in-scope data are meeting
requirements
     *   Standards for informed consent language/process
     *   Data breach notification processes (Art 33-34) – Update existing procedures/policies
     *   Specific technical controls standards (?) – see section on technical controls below…
  *   Enumerate large-scale business processes that collect information from in-scope individuals (add stakeholders as
needed)
     *   Admissions, fundraising, hiring, etc.
     *   For the moment, ignoring small scale and ad hoc processes – focus on systemic, primary processes
  *   Enumerate primary data storage areas for in-scope PII (both on-prem and third-party)
     *   Just a few to consider: student system, admissions systems, international student and scholar management
systems, fundraising systems, CRMs, learning management systems, employment application systems, prospect/recruiting
systems, transcript processing services, data warehousing, data analytics, etc.
     *   I think it’s an excellent, but challenging, exercise to create and maintain good documentation about “where
are all of the places where [student, employee, etc.] data is systemically stored/handled?” Note that I say
“systemically” because it probably isn’t feasible to enumerate “all places” when we have things like individual faculty
members keeping track of student work/grades on endpoints.
     *   Also a good time to think about things like “hey, have we been forgetting to purge old data according to our
retention plans?” and “we’ve been collecting ‘favorite color’ from everyone for ten years, but we’ve never used it for
anything, maybe we should just purge that field.”
  *   Document business need for collected data – this helps with both the “why do you want this?” questions as well as
setting the stage for determining what data must be kept versus purged if you receive a “right to be forgotten”
request.  This step might benefit from defined data categories like “admissions data” or “fundraising data” so you
don’t spend too much time bogged down at the attribute level.  If you have defined data categories for data retention
or classification standards, these could be useful constructs to reference.
     *   If you can’t come up with any business reason to collect or store a particular piece of information, then
regulations like GDPR are pushing organizations towards dumping unneeded data.  Have fun with those discussions with
your local favorite data hoarders (/me glances at the data analytics junkies)
  *   Define processes for data subject rights (Art 12-23) – I’m doing this here rather than in the earlier broad
process step because I think these discussions are better informed with the inventories of business processes, data
handling and business needs.
     *   Right to know what data is collected and how it is used (hey, we just worked on that in the steps above – good
job team!)
     *   Right to rectify – hopefully we all have existing processes for people to request corrections to data
     *   Right to erasure (right to be forgotten) – This is a new thing for most of us and will require a lot of
discussion. Fortunately, we did some work above to define the business need for different pieces of data. This should
set the foundation for what data can and cannot be removed upon request. However, it doesn’t help with the technical
work to figure out how to actually remove data that you deem can be removed.  Expect to get bogged down in this
discussion forever. ☺
     *   Right to data portability – Another interesting one.  Can you easily export/report on the data you have about
an individual across potentially many different systems?  Who is responsible for this process and how would a request
be initiated and handled?
  *   Technical controls
     *   For the most part, I think the technical security controls will not be as major of a change compared to some
of the business process items above. It mostly focuses on risk assessments and the need for “appropriate measures”
based on the risk, cost, etc.  (Art 25 and 32)
     *   Decide what, if any, adjustments to institutional security standards you need to make.  Maybe your existing
standards already address the risk assessment and appropriate controls needs.
  *   The “what did we forget” step – review plans with legal counsel and/or compliance management staff to ensure they
meet the compliance needs.  Fill gaps and make adjustments as needed.  Re-read the GDPR text to see if you forgot
things.
  *   You now have a ton of new standards, documents, changes to business processes, etc.  I hope you did a good job on
that change management process step.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security