Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Study: Effectiveness of infosec countermeasures in the post-secondary institutional domain

From: Joanna Grama <jgrama () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 14:41:12 +0000

Good morning,
One of our members asked me to share the below research request with this list. If you have any questions, please reach
out to Dr. Passi or Dr. Schell.
Kind regards,
Joanna

Joanna Grama, JD, CISSP, CRISC, CIPT
Director of Cybersecurity and IT GRC Programs

EDUCAUSE

----
Over the past two years, universities and colleges in North America have experienced damaging malware attacks,
including ransomware. Though Chief Information Officers (CIOs) and their IT Security experts  have deployed a number of
countermeasures to combat these attacks, no recent study has been published that details the effectiveness of these
countermeasures in the post-secondary institutional domain. In fact, most of the survey data collected to date has
focused on North American businesses and their "best practices."

Our research team at Laurentian University in Ontario, Canada, has developed a survey to fill this void. We are issuing
a special call to ask for your assistance in completing our survey, if you haven't done so already. While we intend to
write an article for EDUCAUSE delineating "best practices" of North American universities and colleges in this regard,
our response rate at this point in time is below expectations.

This online survey, consisting of 46 previously published items for the business sector, should take only about 15
minutes of your time. If you are interested in participating, you can find more information about the research and its
goals, as well as a link to the survey, here: https://survey.laurentian.ca/index.php/775774

If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Kalpdrum Passi, Associate Professor, Computer Science, kpassi () cs
laurentian ca<mailto:kpassi () cs laurentian ca>.

We look forward to hearing from you in the ongoing fight against cybercrime.  Many thanks in advance for your
participation,
Dr. Bernadette Schell
Director of Cybercrime Initiatives
Laurentian University
bschell () laurentian ca<mailto:bschell () laurentian ca>