Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identity Finder Questions

From: "Telfer, Will" <Will_Telfer () BAYLOR EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 22:43:34 +0000

We use Identity Finder/Spirion at Baylor University.

  1.  What is the scope of your institutions deployment? (e.g. system-wide, specific departments, business areas, etc.)

  *   We have it deployed in specific departments where SSNs and/or credit card numbers are used in business practices

  1.  Do you include personally-owned devices or just organization-owned devices?

  *   It is only installed on organization-owned devices.

  1.  Within that scope, what devices are included? (e.g. servers, desktops, laptops; all or partial)

  *   It is installed on mainly desktops/laptops, with a few departmental file servers included due to the type of data
housed on the servers.

  1.  How often are systems scanned and/or reports reviewed?

  *   Systems are scanned quarterly on the last Wednesday of the January, April, July, & October.  Results are reviewed
after the quarterly scans & users are contacted if the scan detected more than 500 hits.  Users can initiate a scan at
any time.  Our biggest issues is systems being off site or offline during the quarterly scan time & then users manually
cancelling the scan when it starts or systems that have been replaced & the software has not been reinstalled (aka
orphans).

Thank You,
Will Telfer, M.S.
Information Security Analyst