Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: privilege escalation software

From: "Judd, Taylor Allen" <tjudd () ILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 14:18:33 +0000

Have you looked at LAPS? (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mt227395.aspx)

I've seen it used in helpdesk groups to fix the problem of one local admin password stored on post-it notes and never
updated. I have not seen it used were all users can elevate privileges. It requires reading the password from AD which
works well for helpdesk folks, but helping the average user retrieve the password might require a PowerShell widget or
some other front end that I haven't seen.

It still might be worth exploring if you are in an MS environment. I would also second the solution of having separate
SU accounts.

Taylor