Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NIST 800-171 Checkup & Lessons Learned

From: "Penn, Blake C" <blake.penn () SECURITY GATECH EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 15:44:20 +0000

Darren,

We are using an assessment-centered approach rather than architectural strategies.  The architecture piece is longer
term since after analysis we found that a one-size-fits-all approach would not meet the needs of our campus.

We have identified all contracts with the DFARS 7012 clause and visited these labs, performed gap assessments, and
assisted the PI and their IT staff in creating an SSP that addresses all the NIST 800-171 requirements.  I'd be glad to
discuss in more detail if that would be helpful.

Regards,

Blake Penn
Information Security Policy and Compliance Manager
Cyber Security
Georgia Institute of Technology
(404) 385-5480