Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Help w/ IARPA research project--survey

From: "Bridges, Robert A." <bridgesra () ORNL GOV>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 21:14:26 +0000

All,
I am a researcher at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), and am writing to ask for your help with a cyber security
research project. It pertains to understanding current practices and tools for security leveraging host-based data
sources. If you are involved with cyber security operations or tool development for security we’d like your feedback.
Please see below and attached documents.

ORNL is conducting a research study for IARPA (Intelligence Advanced Research Program Activity). Our goal is to
understand current practices relating to host-based data collection, intrusion detection, costs (e.g., memory
requirements, user experience, analyst’s time) and efficacy (e.g. how to measure false positives? false negatives?).

Each individual’s participation is completely voluntary. We do not want potential responders to feel pressure from
superiors to participate.

This is not soliciting any sales or services. This is a short email questionnaire for research purposes only.

Please see the consent form attached and survey attached. We would appreciate your participation.

We may ask for a voluntary meeting or call to discuss this matter further.

If you know other analysts/tool developers that may be willing to take the survey, please send me a joint email as we’d
like their feedback too.

Thank you,
Bobby

--
Robert A. Bridges, PhD, Research Mathematician, Cyber & Information Science Research Group, Oak Ridge National
Laboratory