Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internet ingress port-blocking

From: Brian Epstein <bepstein () IAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 14:43:37 -0400

Brian,

We default block all and then allow only ports to specific hosts on a
need by need basis.

From a routing point of view, we do block RFC1918 and multicast inbound.

Outbound is a different story.  At this point, we only block two
services outbound, port 25 for smtp and udp/tcp port 53 for DNS.  We
want to ensure our users are going through our protected servers for
these services.

Thanks,
Brian