Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NGFW Usage Information

From: "Curtis, Bruce" <bruce.curtis () NDSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:05:21 +0000

One way to save even more money is to adopt something like Google’s BeyondCorp philosophy.

At the end of this presentation at the RSA conference in the Q&A Google mentions at the 39 minute mark “that network
based network intrusion detection wasn’t working anyway because we were moving everything to encrypted sessions, so it
was inevitable."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d90Ov6QM1jE

One thing to keep in mind is that deep packet inspection is the secret sauce for IPS and NGFW and about 50% of web
traffic is encrypted so no deep packet inspection on that 50% of traffic.  And the trend will be towards 100%
encryption.

10 years ago NGFW and IPS could inspect the content in most web traffic and email.  Today on our campus a device at the
network border of our campus would see 100% of email traffic is encrypted and 50% of web traffic is encrypted (our
email system is hosted in the cloud).