Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: viruses that have been cleaned or quarantined

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 13:34:45 -0500

On 06/22/2017 12:46 PM, Frank Barton wrote:
This is a touchy subject...

I agree, it is a touchy subject.

If the infection was contained before it was able to launch/take hold
(i.e. AV prevented a file from being downloaded, or accessed after
download), then "cleaning" is somewhat of a mis-nomer. remove the
infected file, and you're all set.

Or not. Without forensics, how do you really know that nothing was executed?

As you say, this discussion is pretty much missing any context. The problem is, the more context that is applied the more specific and the less generalizable any comment is.

But for what its worth, my approach is based on accepting that, in general, we cannot know for certain whether or not a machine is infected and then taking action based on risk. This relies a lot on context and the specifics of the situation drive the decision making, but there are just three paths:

1. Take no action. Example, low confidence alerts don't warrant action. We would be putting out fires all day if we tried to address every alert or notification. Some sort of triage is necessary in order to ensure the important situations are dealt with.

Any time a rebuild is required (case 2 or 3) the system is blocked from the network until that has been done.

2. Three strike rebuild: user is informed of the situation and the three strikes. They are asked to rebuild the system. The first time we take their word for it, the second time we remind them of consequences before taking their word, and the third time we require the rebuild be done by support staff. This is for cases where there is high confidence in the compromise, but the danger resulting from continued infection is fairly low -- or for cases where our authority is less clear -- and is predominately used with student-owned systems.

Users typically employ their "cleaning" software of choice, but a clear and unequivocal statement that they have reformatted and reinstalled the system is required in order for network access to be restored. This is to have a clear case for dealing with repeat detections. Mostly this "works" (as in, not detected as infected after unblocking), but occasionally there is a recalcitrant user who refuses to accept that their system has been compromised. In the end, it is "comply in order to have network access restored".

3. Rebuild. May involve investigation depending on the nature of the alert and the system in question. Most lab computers would simply be rebuilt, but the compromise of an HR employee's system is likely to result in an investigation.

This method works well in our environment, mileage will vary. For infections that fall into the second category there is some leeway which is part of what makes it work for us.

In the end there are undoubtedly compromised systems on our network as a result of either no detection or failure to take action. And there have almost certainly been instances where a system was actually completely cleaned by AV and was reformatted and reinstalled anyway. You can only have so much certainty, and the closer you try to get to 100% the more costly it becomes.

I've had cases where I had to give people the bad news that their data
was lost. I found the key in those discussions is to make it easy for
them to have server-side storage that is backed up regularly.

Our support staff have procedures for backing up a user's data before a reformat and restoring data from that (antivirus scans can be done at this point to reduce the risk of reinfection). Of note: infections can reside in any backup, particularly when the time of first infection has not been authoritatively determined.

So while I definitely subscribe to the "when in doubt, flatten and rebuild" group I do acknowledge that there is wiggle room, all depending on context.

One last thought: for an environment of any size there is going to be a need for quickly installing and deploying systems, whether for new users, failed hardware, or some other reason. By leveraging this system for dealing with compromised computers the cost of rebuilds is low and user impact minimal. This gives reasonably good certainty that the system is clean (but did you verify the drive's firmware? the bios?) without breaking the bank.

Tim Doty

Frank

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Garmon, Joel <garmonjs () wfu edu