Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: viruses that have been cleaned or quarantined

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 13:46:44 -0400

This is a touchy subject in some cases, and I think there is a certain
amount of subjectivity that needs to be brought into context.

If the infection was contained before it was able to launch/take hold (i.e.
AV prevented a file from being downloaded, or accessed after download),
then "cleaning" is somewhat of a mis-nomer. remove the infected file, and
you're all set.

On the flip side, if the process has executed, then nuke the machine from
orbit, and rebuild it. Don't connect it to any networks, don't recover
data, assume that it is dirty, and will contaminate anything else it
touches. (While it is nice to run utilities such as DBAN from a USB Drive,
this is one case where I suggest a burned CD, and a USB cd/dvd drive if
needed)

I've had cases where I had to give people the bad news that their data was
lost. I found the key in those discussions is to make it easy for them to
have server-side storage that is backed up regularly.

Frank