Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HECVAT Tool usage

From: Alex Jalso <ACJalso () MAIL WVU EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 19:53:31 +0000

John,

At West Virginia University we require vendors to complete a security assessment prior to contract signing.  The
assessment is built into a Qualtrics survey then sent to vendors.  Using Qualtrics allows for the collection of
metrics.  Below are answers to your questions.

·         Are vendors requested to fill it out during the RFP stage or after selection? – At WVU vendors are required
to complete our security assessment process prior to contract signing.

·         Is it used to help make the purchase decision?  Yes

·         If so, how is it quantified or scored so that responses can be compared across vendors?  WVU’s questions were
built so that metrics can be collected, e.g. vendor answers aren’t open ended but pick list based.

·         What if vendors say that information is proprietary and don't answer many of the questions?  In this
situation an NDA usually addresses the vendor’s concerns.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Alex

Alex Jalso, PMP, CISM
Chief Information Security and Privacy Officer
Information Technology Services
West Virginia University
We are talking about having cloud vendors fill out this assessment.  I am wondering how are institutions using this
document.

  *   Are vendors requested to fill it out during the RFP stage or after selection?
  *    Is it used to help make the purchase decision? If so, how is it quantified or scored so that responses can be
compared across vendors?
  *   What if vendors say that information is proprietary and don't answer many of the questions?

Thank you for the input.
John LaPrad - CISSP, CIHE
Information Systems Security Manager
Saginaw Valley State University