Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HECVAT Tool usage

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 16:10:50 +0000

While we’re just starting to look at HECVAT specifically, here are some general answers for this type of thing:

  *   Are vendors requested to fill it out during the RFP stage or after selection?
     *   As part of an RFP process – it’s critical to do prior to selection IMO.
  *    Is it used to help make the purchase decision? If so, how is it quantified or scored so that responses can be
compared across vendors?
     *   Yes, it’s part of the decision process.  Our RFP process requires factors to be quantitative so the topic of
security might be given a weight related to other criteria.  Additionally, we may identify specific items as true
requirements (deal breakers).  For example, secure transmission of data (SSL/TLS) might be an absolute requirement.
  *   What if vendors say that information is proprietary and don't answer many of the questions?
     *   This typically only happens with really large vendors (Oracle does this a lot) and it’s a case-by-case
decision, largely based on what information that can/will provide.  Sometimes it’s simply that they won’t answer custom
sets of information, but might provide alternative information about their security (audits, company policies, etc.).
Ultimately, it’s a business risk decision, not an information security office decision.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security
University of Colorado
1800 Grant Street, Suite 300
Denver, CO  80203
Office: (303) 860-4293
Fax: (303) 860-4302
www.cu.edu<http://www.cu.edu/>

[u-logo_fl]

We are talking about having cloud vendors fill out this assessment.  I am wondering how are institutions using this
document.

  *   Are vendors requested to fill it out during the RFP stage or after selection?
  *    Is it used to help make the purchase decision? If so, how is it quantified or scored so that responses can be
compared across vendors?
  *   What if vendors say that information is proprietary and don't answer many of the questions?

Thank you for the input.
John LaPrad - CISSP, CIHE
Information Systems Security Manager
Saginaw Valley State University