Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Digital Citizens Alliance

From: "Mertz, Brian E" <bmertz () ILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 16:39:18 +0000

I’ve been doing some light research into them the last few days. Here are some relevant links going back to their days
as an astroturf lobbying front for the copyright industry:

https://www.recode.net/2015/7/31/11615256/group-accusing-youtube-of-helping-hackers-has-ties-to-film-lobby

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160724/08181035052/mpaa-front-group-pretending-to-represent-consumer-interests-slams-cloudflare-not-censoring-internet.shtml

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/technology/googles-critics-enlist-state-attorneys-general-in-their-fight.html?_r=0

Now that copyright isn’t the money maker it used to be, it looks like they’re trying to find other revenue streams in
the security realm.

To me, the key line from an article in the Detroit Free Press article from today
(http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/03/29/university-michigan-email-hackers/99769892/ ) was this one:

“So what can society do? Universities can continue to spend money on IT departments, even in tough times, to make sure
data is well protected.”  Translation: buy our software.

It’s a vendor pitch via fear mongering relying on some pretty shoddy data in a report that is in desperate need of a
copy editor.

--
Brian Mertz
Manager - Media, Information, and Communications

bmertz () illinois edu
techservices.illinois.edu
twitter.com/TechServicesIL