Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC March 2017 Update: New Resources & List Reminders

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:09:13 +0000

We’d like to highlight the latest security and privacy resources for the higher ed community. Members of this list are
encouraged to share new resources, as well. NOTE: This message also offers some friendly reminders about participating
on the Security Discussion list.

Resources

  *   Who Is Responsible for Teaching College Students About
Cybersecurity<http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2017/3/who-is-responsible-for-teaching-college-students-about-cybersecurity>
(blog by CMU graduate student Stephanie Kumi)
  *   I have nothing to hide. Why should I care about
privacy?<http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2017/2/i-have-nothing-to-hide-why-should-i-care-about-privacy> (by UC Berkeley’s
Lisa Ho and professor Kenneth Goldberg)
  *   Higher Education IT Governance
Checklist<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/3/higher-education-it-governance-checklist> (new resource from
the IT GRC program)
  *   Searching for a Smoking Gun, Chasing a Silver Bullet: Data Breaches in Higher
Education<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/2/searching-for-a-smoking-gun-chasing-a-silver-bullet-data-breaches-in-higher-education>
 (research bulletin; currently available to ECAR subscribers only)
  *   RSA Conference 2017 panel with Neal Fisch, Randy Marchany, and Tina Thorstenson; moderated by Joanna Grama: Up
for a Challenge? Learn How to Become a Successful Higher Education
CISO<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnfmGbb6kg&feature=youtu.be> (YouTube video with audio recording and slides)

Security Professionals Conference<http://www.educause.edu/sec17> (May 1-3, 2017 in Denver, CO)

  *   Don’t forget to register<https://events.educause.edu/security-professionals-conference/2017/registration> for
Security 2017 by April 3 to receive the best rates!
  *   Opening keynote (May 2): Jack Daniel (Strategist, Tenable & co-founder of Security BSides)
  *   Closing keynote (May 3): Michelle Dennedy (Chief Privacy Officer, Cisco)

Security Discussion Group<https://www.educause.edu/discuss/security-discussion-group> Participation Reminders!

  *   This list is public; anyone is welcome to subscribe.
  *   Archives are publicly available and searchable.
  *   Posts to this list may be aggregated by other sites such as http://seclists.org/.
  *   Replies will automatically go to the entire list. If you intend to respond directly to an individual on the list,
please be sure to check the “To:” line before sending your message.
  *   For more sensitive questions or sharing of information, consider using the REN-ISAC<http://www.ren-isac.net/>
list if you are a member.

Stay Informed

  *   Twitter<https://twitter.com/HEISCouncil>
  *   Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/heiscouncil/>
  *   Security Matters blog column<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters> in EDUCAUSE Review

We welcome any questions, comments, or suggestions for new community resources! Please e-mail us at security-council ()
educause edu<mailto:security-council () educause edu>

Thank you,
Valerie

Valerie Vogel Senior Manager, Cybersecurity Program

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | main: 202.872.4200 | twitter: @HEISCouncil | educause.edu<http://www.educause.edu/>

Join us May 1-3, 2017 in Denver, CO for the 15th anniversary of the Security Professionals Conference:
www.educause.edu/sec17<http://www.educause.edu/sec17>