Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Domain Access Rights

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 21:34:37 +0000

By “domain access rights”, do you mean their role/group in Active Directory?

As a general philosophy, I minimize my team’s access to anything.  If we need elevated access for one-time audits, we
can work with a normal admin to get the data we need.  If we need it on-going (say for authenticated vulnerability
scans) that access is on a service account instead of our user accounts.  We still have some instances of user-specific
privileged access, but it’s the exception, not the rule.

If I expect others to hold to a “least privilege” approach, then I need to hold my team to that as well.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security
University of Colorado