Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 2-Factor Authentication / FERPA

From: "Shettler, David" <dshettle () HOLYCROSS EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 15:22:25 -0500

Seconded. 2FA is fundamental in a post-Podesta world, far easier to
implement than half the items listed, and not mutually exclusive with any
of them.

That being said not all 2FA are created equal.  Enabling it for G Suite or
Office 365 is one thing, but doing a Duo deployment for ERP systems can be
trickier.

One tip I can offer is buy some hardware tokens. You won't need many (for
us, maybe 5% tops opt for them), but some percentage of the environment
will argue against using a smartphone or telephone number. We didn't
advertise tokens as an option, except to placate those who refused to use
their phones. Having it as an unadvertised tertiary option has facilitated
our deployment dramatically.

Current events are also helpful: "Don't be John Podesta".

Best,

David