Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 2-Factor Authentication / FERPA

From: Shawn Merdinger <shawnmer () GMAIL COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 11:16:42 -0600

Hi Michael,

One can try to make the case that 2FA will provide more security for
the faculty themselves, such as ADP password resets and attacker
access to their W2 tax documents (please see
http://seclists.org/educause/2016/q2/111 ).

If you're hardcore, circulating a pre-breach draft letter that starts
with "I, and a few others at this school, take your security very
seriously....blah, blah, blah" can be a real crowd-pleaser.

The only other tip I can suggest is to look for organizations prepared
to take security seriously....you'll probably have to look outside of
.edu however.

After wrapping-up several years in .edu infosec myself, at this point
I'm thinking about a food truck that only takes cash and bitcoin :)

--scm
Security Researcher and Recovering CISO