Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Question for O365 users - Skype for Business/shared access

From: Eric Weakland <eric () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:48:42 +0000

Greetings,

For those of you on Office 365 - have you run into this problem?

Student workers have no problem accessing "shared mailboxes" - think of it like a email alias for a front desk/admin
role that we can delegate access to.  They actually don't log into the account, and we avoid having to manage a policy
exception for it as they don't have to log into a "generic account"

We've run into a roadblock with Skype for Business - previously in Lotus Notes, we could enable delegated access to the
chat program -  "Sametime" - so that student workers could access the chat functionality from their account - but with
Skype we are being told that the only way to do it is to log into skype directly as the generic account.  This is going
to happen a lot across the enterprise and we're not looking forward to managing all the policy exceptions (generic
accounts have to have a business justification and signoff) and it also makes it almost impossible to trace abuse if it
happens to a person.

Does anyone else have experience from dealing with this - how did you solve it in your organization.  If we had
something like cyberarc/thycotic enabled, we could check out the credentials and track access - but we're not there yet.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

Eric Weakland, CISSP, CISM, CRISC, ITIL
Director, Information Security
Office of Information Technology
American University
eric at american.edu<http://american.edu>
202.885.2241

Emails from IT asking you to log in with a link are scams!
No one from Microsoft is going to call you about your computer!
The IRS isn't going to call you and threaten legal action, unless you pay them using gift cards!