Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Member question re: board presentations on security

From: Alfred Barker <Alfred.Barker () USG EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:35:56 +0000

In addition to Brad’s wonderful comments, I’ve had great success by first understanding the key motivators of the
“board.” For example, our Chancellor has three imperatives that are held dear: 1) commitment to academic excellence and
degree completion, 2) commitment to economic development and world class research and 3) commitment to accountability,
efficiency, and innovation in higher education.  Understanding this, when presenting I craft my discussion around these
imperatives showing either how we align, advance and bring value or how we might be missing the mark and may risk not
achieving the imperatives.

Also, do not underestimate the power of quantitative analysis… having hard empirical in lieu on anecdotal information
builds credibility.  Lastly, prepare and rehearse “elevator” proposals – a nod to Brad’s comment to have “succinct”
from your presentation.

Preparation is Key… Great Success!

Alfred S. Barker, MSIS
Assistant Vice Chancellor / CISO