Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SOP for Managing Phishing/Ransomware Attempts

From: Steven Alexander <steven.alexander () KCCD EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 05:46:32 +0000

I'm new to my role so I don't know if we've had objections in the past, but we do pull phishing/malicious emails from
our user's inboxes.  Once we've identified that the content is dangerous, the safest option is to remove it.  Simply
alerting people that the content is dangerous might reduce click rates substantially, but it won't reduce them to zero.
 I'd rather have to defend the decision to pull than deal with a breach or a ransomware infection.

I think the best approach is to be up front set clear ground rules for when this capability can be used.  If it's only
used to pull emails with malicious attachments and phishing links, there shouldn't be many objections.  If it's used to
stifle a discussion, even once, it will be hard to regain the trust of your faculty and other users.

Steven Alexander
Director of IT Security
Kern Community College District