Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SOP for Managing Phishing/Ransomware Attempts

From: James Valente <jvalente () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 22:31:09 +0000

I wrote up a script a while back that parsed the syslog output from our email firewall and could alert us to possible
phishing attempts.

Every 30 minutes it will grab the last 45 minutes of log entries and pull out the sender name and source IP and will
alert if either has a certain number of hits. It took a while of tweaking to get it high enough that regular email
traffic wasn't setting off alerts while still alerting us to as many real phishing attempts as possible.   I found that
it was important to also check the source IP because we've had spoofed email addresses that differ with each recipient
and no alert would be set off. Checking both increases the chances of picking something up.  I had to add code to
ignore certain senders, servers, or domains (internal mailservers, constantcontact, pretty much anything that regularly
sends bulk messages)

Along with asking users to report phishing to our security mail, it really helps to cut down our maximum response time
during the day to about 30 minutes, though it's usually much faster.

Once we get the alerts or reported messages, we can pull a list of recipients off the firewall and blast out a mass
warning to everyone that the message was a phish, to delete/ignore it, and contact the Information Security department
if they already entered their credentials.

The number of users who have fallen for a phish since we started doing this has dropped by about 90%, I believe.

I'm guessing some email firewalls already allow you to configure alerts like this, but our Barracuda does not.

Also, RE: Removing malicious messages. I know this has come up in other discussions amongst schools and a few people
have mentioned that there have been members of the faculty who get very upset if messages are deleted. We haven't tried
to pull or delete messages here, however.

Thanks,
James Valente
Associate Director of Information Security
Salem State University