Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: seeking input on log analysis for identifying suspicious activity

From: "Lambert, Tony M" <Tony.Lambert () VOLSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 16:20:20 +0000

Hi Alex,

I apologize in advance because my answer is derived from clichéd and overused security advice.

When we move from collection of data into detection and analysis, we get into the human side of infosec. I agree with
your sentiment about SIEM magic that can "find the bad guys" as that SIEM magic has to first be trained by humans with
the capability to recognize issues indicating compromise. One potential answer to the questions you pose (like "what
does normal look like?") involves configuration management and an inventory of hardware/software as security controls.
To establish a baseline of normal in your technology environment, your team must become experts in your environment in
terms of knowing which configurations are used with particular systems. For example, an NGINX web service starting up
on a normally Windows/IIS web server is highly suspicious but one would only recognize the issue by being familiar with
the normal configuration. We can see this type of mindset at work when we talk to malware analysts. Malware analysts
recognize malicious software by becoming experts in normal and abnormal behavior among computer systems. To recognize
potential issues among your environment, the long and arduous road of adopting this mindset may help the most.

For what types of behaviors and conditions to check, a risk analysis exercise might be helpful. An organization can
determine what risks are most worrisome, research threats/attacks that correspond to that risk, and identify conditions
within a specific configuration according to that research. For example, a research institution may view intellectual
property theft as a worrisome risk and, through research, discover that exfiltration of data via FTP is common.
Identification of conditions corresponding to this risk may include looking for abnormal FTP connections reaching over
the Internet. From this conclusion, one may then configure systems to trigger alerts based upon whether these abnormal
connections are "risky" enough to warrant immediate attention.

Successful analysis and identification is supplemented and accelerated by technology. Successful baselines,
inventories, and analyses all originate from humans.

Thanks,

--Tony

Tony M Lambert
Jr. Systems Administrator, Information Technology
Volunteer State Community College
X4832, tony.lambert () volstate edu