Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of PIN for Self Service Password Reset

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 08:28:49 -0400

One Caveat that I would strongly suggest if you are using an alphanumeric
PIN (and I'm not sure if you mean One-Time-Password, or a user set PIN that
can be used ad-nauseam to reset) is to avoid the use of confusing
characters (Il1oO0) unless you can control the interface in such a way as
to make them very clearly distinct (upper case "I" having the top and
bottom cross-bars, "0" having a center diagonal, etc)

Frank