Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Use of PIN for Self Service Password Reset

From: Steve Munson <smunson () MARYMOUNT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 07:52:07 -0400

We are moving to a use of 4 character PIN for self service password reset and am interested to see what standards others have established for PINs. For example, we are considering setting the PIN requirement to be at least 2 characters and 2 numbers. We are planning to use alphanumeric PIN instead of numeric to provide opportunity for more PIN complexity versus numeric only but interested in feedback/perspective from this group.

Regards,

Steve Munson

Executive Director, IT Services

Marymount University