Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blackboard Phishing Emails

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 21:10:40 +0000

Thanks.  Our Ironport email logs show a couple of suspicious messages this morning but they were blocked here:

25 Aug 2016 08:39:23 (GMT -06:00)
SENDER:            AXLamparello () indianatech edu
RECIPIENT:        xxxxxxxx () usu edu
SUBJECT:           Re:[Blackboard Learning Important messages from faculty!
LAST STATE:     Message 382718805 aborted: Dropped by CASE

[Good bye, all.  Tomorrow is my last day of work here.]

Bob Bayn  (435)797-2396  Security & Systems Engineering Team
Office of Information Technology,                 Utah State University

    Report any suspicious or malicious message by forwarding
    it as an attachment (ctrl-alt-F in Outlook) to phish () usu edu.
    The attachment format preserves hidden delivery header
    information that is helpful for reporting or blocking.

    Do you know the "Skeptical Hover Technique" and
    how to tell where a web link really goes?  See:
    https://it.usu.edu/computer-security/computer-security-threats/articleID=23737