Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA / HITECH Compliant Video Conferencing Solution

From: "Lazarus, Carolann" <lazarus () BUFFALO EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:31:46 +0000

Our HIPAA Officer sent this addition....

Sound advice.

I would nuance 3b) a bit.

A BA is needed if a service is being provided that uses, discloses, or maintains PHI.

If the only access the vendor has to the data is while it is in motion, and that's encrypted so the vendor can't access
it, then a BA wouldn't be required.

If, however, the vendor comes on site to maintain the equipment, and the equipment has PHI on it, the BA would again be
needed.

Also, if the vendor isn't doing anything different than what an ISP does (transiting the data), then I think the
conduit can apply because, in fact, they're just acting like an ISP.  HIPAA gives examples for the conduit exception,
but doesn't say the exception is limited to those examples.  This is an area where lawyers go yes or no.

Carolann G Lazarus, CISA, CCEP
Internal Audit
University @ Buffalo, SUNY
716-829-6947