Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How to let CS professors receive program submissions without email blocking them

From: Dewight Fredrick Kramer <dfkramer () UCDAVIS EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 16:28:55 +0000

My I forward your inquiry to our Email hygiene manager?

Thank you,

Dewight F. Kramer
Information Security Consultant
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
(530)752-1700
dfkramer () ucdavis edu <mailto:dfkramer () ucdavis edu>
http://security.ucdavis.edu <http://security.ucdavis.edu/>
On Jun 27, 2016, at 9:24 AM, John R. LaPrad <jrl () SVSU EDU> wrote:

Hello Colleagues,

We have an issue with Computer Science professors receiving program submissions from students. If students send these
programs through email, the system often blocks the email because of executable attachments. We have an LMS that
allows assignment submissions that would work, but there are some exceptions where email is still preferred.  We’ve
talked about having students change the extensions, but that does not work consistently. Our CS professors would like
us to put an exception in our email security rules to allow all attachments to them.  I don’t think that’s a good
idea.
I am wondering how others are handling this?

Thank you for your time.

John LaPrad
Manager of Technical Services
Saginaw Valley State University