Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows 10 Security Profile

From: Eric Lukens <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 08:48:23 -0600

We're actually in the process of determining our hardening standards for
Windows 10 right now.

I'd have a look through the CIS hardening guide for Windows 10 (
https://benchmarks.cisecurity.org/downloads/browse/index.cfm?category=benchmarks.os.windows.10)
and the Microsoft SCM guide (
http://blogs.technet.com/b/secguide/archive/2016/01/22/security-baseline-for-windows-10-v1511-quot-threshold-2-quot-final.aspx).
You'll find they differ on a lot of the "cloud" stuff, but both have the
SmartScreen filter enabled. The Microsoft one has done away with almost all
settings that are otherwise the default--so it isn't a full guide of "these
are all the settings that should be in place" but rather a list of settings
that increase the security of the default system at the expense of some
functionality. The CIS guide includes a lot of the settings that had been
in previous guides--even if they are now the default. Virtually no guide
includes all "bad" settings since there are a lot of places in Group Policy
where you could seriously compromise your security. I think CIS was very
cautious in balancing the privacy/data loss potential against the benefits
of certain features, so most "fun" features like Cortana are disabled. On
the flip side, I think the Microsoft guide lets too many invasive features
remain. I think it might be wise to start using Windows 10 as suggest by
CIS and perhaps begin enabling some of the features after you are more
certain of their impact.

The SmartScreen filter is a basic reputation-based anti-malware where known
good are allowed to run, known bad are blocked, and unknown are either
blocked or allowed depending on your policies--remember this applies not
only to IE but to all downloads from all browsers. There are few places
where I think the privacy concerns of SmartScreen would outweigh the
security benefits. I do know the SmartScreen filter on Win 8.1 has
successfully blocked a number of things that would have otherwise led to
infections for us. Most of the malware tries to bypass the filter now by
exploiting a browser plugin and loading their code via it.

Anyway, we require the hardening standards to be used on all machines and
then the policy can be "softened" where needed if justified, documented,
and approved. We wrote in our guide that certain settings could be softened
without needing approval, just because we knew of common scenarios where a
setting would need to be changed.

If anyone has questions about specific settings and what our thoughts on
that setting are, feel free to ask me, it is one of the projects I'm
working on right now.

-Eric