Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Windows 10 Security Profile

From: Homer Manila <homer () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 18:14:02 -0500

All,

We are in the middle of designing a Windows 10 image for the first time
and are considering turning the following privacy-related
settings/features off:

Wifi Sense
Advertising ID
SmartScreen Filter
Location information (or "Let websites provide locally relevant content")
Speech, Inking and Typing
Send MS info about how I write
Feedback and Diagnostics (or at least set Diagnostic and usage data to
Basic)

Are other institutions turning off any other privacy settings than these,
or think any of these settings are overblown as a privacy issue?  We
expect Cortana to be a big draw in Windows 10 for our users and are
hesitant in turning off any feature that would make it less useful
(location settings, or any of the Getting To Know me settings).
Additionally, SmartScreen Filter seems it could be a nice security feature
to have in the Apps store and Edge.

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-secure-windows-10-the-paranoids-guide/

Thanks for any feedback!

--Homer Manila, CISSP, GCWN
Information Security Engineer
American University
Office of Information Technology
202-885-2209

AU IT will never ask for your password via e-mail.
Don't share your password with anyone!