Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spam with malicious document attachments

From: Alex Keller <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 05:12:16 +0000

Hi Tony,

We too have observed an uptick in ransomware campaigns but haven't had the chance to study a documented case until
recently.  On 12-1-2015 we had an undetected Dridex style compromise of a Windows 7 x64 host via infected Word document
INVOICE_34347320.doc*. On 2-19-2016 at 5:01AM the same host executed the Locky payload, dumping volume shadow copies,
encrypting the vast majority of user files, and leaving behind only the Locky desktop background, decryption
instructions, and a registry key.

These could be two independent compromises, but we can find no vector for the latter, and are left to speculate that
this victim host may have been part of a beta test for Locky, or was initially rooted with Dridex and then retro-fitted
with the Locky payload. Unfortunately we have not been able to isolate any netflows to the CNCs that might shed further
light on what happened, but suffice to say there is growing evidence to suggest the team behind Dridex unleashed Locky
on Monday 2-15-2016 and has enjoyed impressive propagation success in the last week.

Kevin Beaumont with a timely analysis:
https://medium.com/@networksecurity/you-your-endpoints-and-the-locky-virus-b49ef8241bea#.splkknxn4

Palo Alto Networks write-up:
http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2016/02/locky-new-ransomware-mimics-dridex-style-distribution/

Currently the best defense against ransomware is offline or indelible archive backups (a decidedly uncomfortable and
de-leveraged position).

Beaumont offers some additional defense tactics focused on disabling macros, application whitelisting, and EMET:
https://medium.com/@networksecurity/it-s-time-to-secure-microsoft-office-be50ec2797e3#.ny89ikdyd

Best,
Alex

*https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/358f442f3d9b318ffcda1942e1e57b9f607a483400b26d91f7973dc753f61a08/analysis/

Alex Keller
Stanford | Engineering
Information Technology
axkeller () stanford edu<mailto:axkeller () stanford edu>
(650)736-6421