Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Spam with malicious document attachments

From: "Lambert, Tony M" <Tony.Lambert () VOLSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 20:10:26 +0000

Hi folks,

My institution has seen a sharp uptick of SPAM campaigns in the last three months with the intent to infect systems
through MS Office document macros. In our case, we've seen many fake invoice documents with malicious macros triggering
<5 alerts on VirusTotal.com. These attempts have been consistent with the infection vectors for Dridex and Locky
malware variants. How have other institutions tried mitigating this threat? Thus far we've looked at the following:

*         Make MS Office Protected View enabled through GPO

*         AppLocker configurations to limit execution of binaries from user security context

Thanks,

--Tony

Tony M Lambert
Jr. Systems Administrator, Information Technology
Volunteer State Community College
X4832, tony.lambert () volstate edu<mailto:tony.lambert () volstate edu>