Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions on best practices for idle timeouts

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 14:27:08 +0000

While I agree that endpoint security is important, keep in mind that we are talking about applications where the user
base might be primarily students, prospective students or otherwise from endpoints under no control or influence of the
organization.

SSO configurations often complicate idle time-outs and log-out scenario because multiple sessions exist and a time-out
or log-out might impact only one of those sessions.  Simply mapping out and explaining the time-out and log-out paths
in a multi-application SSO environment can be a non-trivial task, let alone expecting most folks to understand or
remember how it works in any given application.

Personally, I think timeouts are perhaps more important these days than in the past.  Modern devices might rarely, if
ever, see the web browser actually closed to clear out any temporary cookies/tokens/sessions.  On Android or iOS
devices, the browsers are typically only restarted when someone restarts the device itself - most users don’t' get into
killing individual applications.

Brad Judy

Director of Information Security
University Information Systems