Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions on best practices for idle timeouts

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 08:58:05 -0400

Emily, We go through this every so often, and "rounds are done" in our case
the gripe seems to be more on the "I might put up a powerpoint slide for 45
minutes, and not touch the machine" because most video applications will
prevent the computer from screen-saving, or sleeping

One thing that I will note is that, while we started with an
across-the-board policy, that doesn't work, and you will probably need to
break your computers up by business need. PCI Compliance mandates a 15
minute idle-lock for example.

I may be the odd duck, but I like to keep my idle timeout *very* low (to
the tune of 2 minutes), so one thing that we are looking at doing is
mandating maximums, but allowing people to set them lower. The other thing
that we found helpful was to put in a "warning" state - i.e. screen-saver
after 5 minutes, require password after 30 seconds of screen-saver. so that
if the user was in a situation where they had a slide up, they had a brief
window to abort the lock

That being said, we picked up a handful of these mouse jigglers (
https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/mouse_jiggler/) for use at the
help-desk, when we are running time-consuming processes on machines that
are brought in.

As you go through your discussions, I would be interested in hearing what
you decide, what policies are written, etc. as I am sure others on the list
would be too

Thank You
Frank