Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMARC Deployment

From: Brian Epstein <bepstein () IAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:30:07 -0400

Hi Alex,

I haven't deployed DMARC, yet, for the IAS, however, I have deployed
it for 5 other organizations that I am a part of.  In its first phase,
I have made all the DMARC and SPF settings pretty forgiving and am
collecting reports from domains to see how my users are doing.

Once I gather a few months of details, I'll be in a better position to
write better SPF records.  I'm always amazed at the number of
legitimate third party places that need to send emails as my domain.

After identifying those places, I'll probably start locking it down
and asking mail servers to start denying email from places not in my
SPF records.

So, I definitely suggest adding the ruf= stanza to the DMARC record
for the trial period at least.

Once I'm more comfortable with these other organizations, I'll start
the same process for ias.edu.

Thanks,
ep