Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AUSCert

From: John Kristoff <jtk () CYMRU COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 09:58:19 -0500

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 14:32:49 +0000
Peter Lundstedt <peter.lundstedt () DRAKE EDU> wrote:

I'm doing some information gathering on
AUSCert<https://auscert.org.au/>.  They advertise themselves as a
premier incident handling, monitoring, and data feed service with
experience in higher ed, but every bit of information I can find
references Australia / New Zealand only, including all their
pricing.  Does anyone know if their offering is available in the U.S.
and does anyone have experience with their services?

AusCERT is a member organization for its region.  Along with CERT/CC it
was one oldest, most prestigious CERTs in the world.  They have been
very actively involved with the security community, but things began to
get a little complicated when national governments decided to get into
the act so you don't hear about them as much as you once did.  AusCERT
did not escape much of reshaping of the early CERTS, but they still
largely do what they have always done, there is just so many new
organizations and players that many of these founding institutions
don't stand out as much as they once did.  The yearly AusCERT
conference is one of the best in the industry and they always attract
an impressive line of speakers and talks.

I don't think membership is generally available outside of their
region, but I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing you are interested
in them.  They should be very approachable at a general contact address.

You might want to consult with REN-ISAC, they're a related organization
set up just for organizations like yours.  They may either be able to
provide much of what you're interested in, or provide some guidance on
where to find it if they don't have it.

John