Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Duo: love it or not so much?

From: Faust Gorham <fgorham () CSUB EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 10:36:20 -0700

Emily,

We implemented DUO when I was with UC Merced and found it to be an excellent product. We integrated into several
bastion hosts and on our Cisco VPN appliance.

Our plans for future phases:
Integrate into SSO allowing for administrative determination of which services would require MFA
Self-service page where a user could request MFA for certain services where administratively we didn’t require it.
I think today, you see many other vendors providing this integrated into their product offerings for example:
IDAAS (Okta)
Microsoft
So the question is, do you need a separate product?

One thing to note – policy decisions. MFA often requires a cell phone as that second client (text, call, or mobile app)
does the university now pay for this device?

Cheers,
Faust Gorham
Associate Vice President &
Chief Information Officer