Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RESULTS: Survey about security maintenance windows

From: Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 00:53:13 +0000

The policy mentions notifications; how is that accomplished? Is it a passive (posted on a website/portal, etc) or
active (email sent out, etc) notification process? Are there specific notifications (e.g. service and time) or just
general (this maintenance window will be used)? About how often are the windows used vs. not used?

Sorry for the additional questions, but we have a very small staff and I would like a no-notification required policy.
If something doesn’t work during the window, assume it’s IT maintenance. If it’s still not working after the window,
then call the help desk. The problem is the notification process easily becomes a “make sure nothing important is
impacted” process which becomes a “make sure no one is inconvenienced in the slightest (except IT)” process (from past
experience). I would like to avoid that slippery slope if possible.

Thanks,
Thomas