Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPN Security

From: Rossella Mariotti-Jones <rossella.mariotti.jones () CHEMEKETA EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 09:45:46 -0700

Hello Kevin,
Here at CCC, VPN access for staff/faculty and vendors has to be approved by
IT first. VPN requests must come in via TAC with a supervisor approval and
an account number to which we charge the $40 one-time fee. We charge this
small fee discourage colleagues from requesting VPN when they don't have an
absolute business need to connect. The fee is not required for IT staff and
"vendors" (energy management contractors, etc...). We very rarely approve
VPN on users' devices because it becomes a nightmare to make sure they're
clean enough to be dropped on the inside, plus usually most college
executive and IT staff have college provided devices. We also don't have
the infrastructure or the staff in place to verify AV on BYODs. We control
our VPN security tightly, and access depends on the tunnel group a user
lands on, the user IP and the access-lists associated with TG and IP. Users
are assigned to tunnel groups depending on what their needs are and that's
the only way in they have, additional access requires a TAC, for example a
contractor which manages our door lock system has a specific IP address
assigned at login and can access only one server.
I'm not sure what your VPN users population looks like, but we try to keep
it very small, in fact, if I look at the firewall during the day I usually
don't see any more than 8 to 10 users connected, but we have about 50 total
in the system. We haven't had any issues so far, except just sometimes a
vendor might call us because their VPN dropped unexpectedly and they can't
reconnect, so we have to clear them out and it's fixed (we limit some
tunnel groups to only one concurrent connection, and sometime it sticks).
Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

rossella mariotti-jones | network analyst | information technology |
chemeketa community college | p: 503-589-7775 | e: rmariott () chemeketa edu