Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing at U-M

From: William Rhee <willrhee () UMICH EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 11:04:24 -0400

Hi Joel,

Yes!  We use distinct, single-use, fake usernames that we use to bait a
phishing form and then never use again, so we can associate later attempts
with a specific phishing scam.  We use splunk to alert on failed logins.

We've seen the same flavor of highly-personalized "academic paper" phishing
scams for at least a year.  They appear to be motivated by access to
library and VPN resources.  Beware: sometimes we've had to wait three
months or more before getting an alert about failed logins by fake
usernames associated with this scam.

best regards,

Will Rhee
IT User Advocate, University of Michigan
(734) 936-8356